Monday, April 6, 2015

I Said to Myself- Time is My Wealth

How do you talk to yourself? What do you say? Start thinking about what you think about and what you tell yourself.   Rid the mind of clutter, and hear yourself.

Ask yourself of a time in which you faced adversity.  (Know the best predictor of the future is the past).  How did you overcome?  Well, I said to myself, “If my mother-in-law with an open wound in her chest from cobalt treatments of the 1970’s, breast cancer, heart valve replacement and continual staph infection, can do….then I can….”  Lena Pearl Carr was a most virtuous person who never complained. She passed away April 6, 2011.

How should you talk to you if you really wanted to be great; if you really wanted to serve others; if you really want to experience the blessings of life?  Happy people talk to themselves a certain way.  They have learned, as my mother-in-law, how to enjoy life. Learn to be happy.   Miserable people are a burden to other people. Do not be a drain.

A man came home to his wife who was dragging her luggage to the car.  He ask her what was wrong and she said she had just had enough and that she was leaving.  He asked, “Is there someone else.”  She responded, “There just has to be.”

Don't be a drag.

Your time is your wealth.  How would you live your life if you had one year to live?   What would matter to you?  Would you spend a year quacking like a duck?  Would you spend the next year at the duck pond (Happy Hour at the local bar)? At the end of the day today, your bank account has 1 less day. 

A doctor tells patient he has one year to live. The patient asks the doctor, “What should I do?” The doctor says, “Give all your money to charity, move into a shack, and marry the first woman you meet with nine children.” The patient asks, "Will that save me?" The doctor responds, "No, but it will be the longest year of your life."

Given one year to live, would you spend it as you are now? Everything has a shelf life: material and non material objects alike. You have a shelf life

A woman is dying to cancer.  Her husband knows it.  She knows it. He gathers his courage and asks her, “I want to ask you a question: What does it feel like knowing that you are dying?”  She thinks and responds, “What does it feel like pretending that you are not?”

You may live to be 81 years of age, just like Pearl, or you may have one year to live or one day--you never know.

A week before Mother’s Day, AT&T asked Coach Bryant to do a commercial.  The script read, “This is Paul Bear Bryant, the head football coach at the University of Alabama, this weekend is Mother’s Day, call your mamma.”  The Bear says, “I got it, I do not need a script.”  Here is what he said, “This Paul Bear Bryant, head football coach at the University of Alabama, Roll Tide, Roll! This weekend is Mothers’ Day, call your mamma. I sure wish I could.”


Your time is your wealth. Teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts to wisdom. Go laugh, smile, and love. Go serve. Whatever you are designed to do, go do it.  Go preach and use words only when you have to.